Thursday, February 5, 2015

Hot Chocolate.

On Wednesday we said goodbye to a friend going back to Australia.

Although I only got to spend a very short time with her, the time we did share was always truly special. But within this "farewell" it began to resonate with me the fact that in a little over a month, I will be in the same position. All of the tidbits of advice we gave her about "Don't worry, you will be back one day." or "we will have a reunion somewhere in the world someday" etc. would soon be applicable to me. Although I know from experience these things are true, it doesn't make me less... sad. Not sad in the I want to cry way, but Bologna and the people here have become such a part of my life, that saying goodbye is truly bittersweet.

Anouk, Elif and I 
Then, on Sunday, we said goodbye to Anouk. However, this goodbye for me was a bit more of a see you later. She lives in Leuven, so I know we will be able to continue our friendship in person in the foreseeable future. I definitely prefer the "see you soon" goodbyes than the "one day, somewhere, we will find a way to see one another again" goodbyes.

I guess it was sort of the same when KJ left. She lives on the East Coast. Our chances of seeing one another again is a definite possibility. But what about the people who have shaped my life, become my confidants, and that I have developed a deep friendship with who will be all around the world? Who says I will ever see those influential, important people again? I know there is Skype and Whatsapp and many other incredible technological ways to stay connected, but how can those things replace the many coffee "work" breaks where just the physical presence of another person bonds you? How can you replace late night rant sessions, emergency chocolate runs, impromptu trips to random destinations? How do you continue to keep a friendship strong within some sort of physical proximity? I guess of all the people I know, I should be able to answer this. Having lived far from my family for a long-ish time now and still maintaining a close relationship with them. But that seems different. I know I will see them again soon. I have spent the majority, if not all of, my life with them. In fact, I think my sister and I got closer since I left. How is that possible if in so many other cases relationships fall apart due to distance.

Ok, so I am not the only person who has left home. That example deals with family, not friends. However, I should be able to answer this also given by my being in a long distance relationship for almost two years. And when I say long distance, I mean different countries and half the time different continents long distance. How did I keep that strong? Can I do that with all the friends I want to continue to grow with? Is it too much energy for little return? Or should I let life run it's course and let the friendships serve their purpose and then fade away if that's what is meant to happen? How long should I expend the energy and fight before letting go? How do I answer these questions? Can I?

I guess the only thing I can do is put the energy into the people who also give it back. And then, I suppose, time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment